If you’re always craving for sugary snacks, you are not alone. Sugar cravings are difficult to ignore. What is worse is that sugary treats are so easily available everywhere which makes it harder to ignore your craving.
Eating lots of simple carbohydrates i.e. sugar may only give your body a short term energy boost but they will always leave hunger and craving for more. Here a few tips to stop your body for craving for more sugar:
- Replace it with fruits. Keep fruits around when sugar craving hit. Fruits are naturally sweet and full of fiber and nutrients. Bring them to your work or fill up your kitchen healthy sugars such as apples and pears – those are easy to eat as they don’t require peeling.
- Go for a walk. When you get a sugar craving, get out of the house and go for a walk. If you are at work, take a rest from your work and walk for 10 minutes. This will take your mind off the food.
- Eat regularly. If you don’t have three square meals a day, you may be craving for sugar because your body is low on it. Accompany your fruits with nuts, seed and dried fruits. These are protein and fiber rich food. For your three regular meals, increase your protein intake. Add an egg in the morning for your breakfast.
- Remove temptations. Go through your refrigerator and get rid of all the sugary treats. When you go grocery shopping, make a list of the things that you have to buy and stick to the list. After you are done, pay for it immediately instead of lingering around the sweets section.
- Read labels. Before you start buying food, be sure to read the label. Start being aware of content of the food that you purchase. Being aware of sugar contents can help you avoid high sugar food.
- Improve your diet. Eat more protein and fat. A well-balanced meal will do your body good. Have small frequent meals and take a daily multivitamin to keep your blood sugar level stable.
- Lastly, if you really do have to satisfy your sugar cravings, go for quality instead of quantity. Eat a small piece of dark chocolate instead of candy bar. This treat will be more satisfying for you.