Coffee as we generally know it is a brewed drink prepared from roasted coffee beans, which are the seeds of berries from the Coffee plant. Coffee is one of the most popular drinks in the world whether served hot as a cappuccino or espresso or iced as a frappe or fredo. It is also a rich source of antioxidants. Did you know though that coffee can also be used in your beauty regime?
Coffee not only exfoliates the skin when applied topically, it also contains caffeine which can help to tighten the skin, reduce cellulite and tighten pores. Caffeine can also help reduce dark circles and redness around the eyes and help to reduce puffy eyes. Coffee scrubs can also help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
A decent facial or body scrub made with coffee is easy to do and most of the ingredients are probably already in your kitchen cupboards so what are you waiting for.
Exfoliating Body Scrub
If you’re a coffee lover and adore vanilla scents in skin products, this scrub is MADE for you! The Coffee granules remove dead skin cells, allowing new cells to rise to the surface of the skin leaving your skin fresh and glowing. The coconut oil also leaves a layer of moisture on the skin, keeping it hydrated.
3 tablespoons of coffee granules, freshly ground coffee or the used grinds
2 tablespoons sea salt (not rough) or granulated sugar
Vanilla essence (optional)
How to do it;
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coffee with 3 tablespoons of sea salt or sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut oil teaspoon by teaspoon – according to the texture you prefer for scrubs for example thin and granular or more viscous – pouring the coconut oil into the other ingredients and mixing well. At this stage you could add a few drops of vanilla essence should you wish which will give the scrub a pleasant fragrance.
- Apply the scrub to the skin in a circular motion, and if you are targeting cellulite massage it into those areas for about a minute at a time. Wash off with warm water.
Adding Coffee to your morning face mask will help rejuvenate and keep your skin glowing all day and applying a face mask at night will help to remove traces of makeup and also unclog your pores.
Coffee Face Scrub
2 tablespoons freshly ground coffee (or used grinds)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons milk – any type or yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
How to do it;
- Mix all the ingredients together and apply a light coat to your face.
- Let the scrub sit on your face for about 15 minutes. Remove with warm wash cloth.
Honey contains superior antibacterial, probiotic, and healing properties and is super nourishing and hydrating for your skin. Yoghurt is good for moisturising your skin, exfoliating due to the lactic acid contained within it and it is also considered to be an effective home remedy for fighting acne.
Help to make your skin healthier by using natural ingredients. Happy Scrubbing!