The human brain is a multifaceted organization of cells and around fifty million neurons that work with utmost complexity in order to keep you going healthy and strong. It is believed to be five times bigger than an average brain of a mammal with the same body size. In human beings, the frontal lobes and the forebrain are especially expanded since these parts are the ones responsible for self-control, planning and reasoning. Thus, in order for you to have a stronger and healthier body, try to better you brain. Healthier mind means healthier body.
It is during our childhood, or the early stage of our lifespan that the development of the brain and the central nervous system is critical. As we grow older, the body’s capacity to absorb nutrients is weakened. Thus, it becomes more difficult for us to protect ourselves from illnesses, injuries and stresses. Simultaneously with our aging process, we also lose neurons, or commonly called as the brain cells. Unlike the other body cells, the neurons do not regenerate nor do they replicate; and they do not have the capacity to repair themselves. Because of this, our brain is not able to perform as well as when we were younger.
Thus, in order to keep our brains performing well, we have to follow some do’s and don’ts. This way we can help our brain maintain its fitness and strength.
What to do:
- See to it that you exercise regularly and that you engage yourself in physical activities that can help you maintain your vitality.
- Your mind is exercised more if you participate in active learning. Try new experiences so that you can learn from such experiences firsthand.
- Maintain your social life as well. Do not isolate yourself from your social groups; instead, you should keep in touch with each of them. A happier life would mean a healthier life.
- You should always be in control of your life. Do not feel as if you have no power over things. Maintain a positive self-image and a positive outlook on life.
- Do not be overwhelmed by stress. You should know how to handle them all.
- A balanced diet will definitely keep you healthy. So, as much as possible, you should eat a balanced meal and foods that are rich in antioxidants and vitamins.
- You should get enough rest and sleep. Professionals believe that you should sleep for at least six to eight hours a day.
- If you have any health problems, you should give attention to them as early as possible. Never take your health for granted.
What not to do:
- Avoid drinking excessive alcohol and smoking too much cigarettes. Also, do not do illegal drugs!
- Never forget to inform your doctor of your mental condition. Important changes should always be reported.
- Do not miss a visit to your doctor when these changes occur.
- Never self-medicate because some drugs may interact negatively with your mental status, especially if you are taking more than one drug.
- Do not live alone by isolating yourself from the others.
- Never stop yourself from experiencing new things.
- Most importantly is the fact that in order for you to have a healthy mind, you need to always have a positive attitude. Be ready to face all the challenges that life may bring, and never lose hope! Be in command of your life. Better your brain by having a better attitude about life.